Your Zakat can make a BIG difference
Your Zakat can fuel positive change by providing nutritious meals for families, orphan sponsorship, water wells, and more.
All Penny Appeal USA programs are Zakat-eligible
Zakat is an annual charitable payment that goes on to benefit those in need and is a Religious obligation for Muslims everywhere.
Your Zakat is a beautiful pillar of Islam that allows you to care for orphans and the elderly, provide food and water, deliver healthcare and education, or even provide emergency aid to those struck by disaster.
Read Our Zakat Policy
- All zakat donations received by Penny Appeal USA are internally tagged as zakat and are ring-fenced for use exclusively for zakat-eligible programs.
- When a zakat donation is designated to a certain program by a donor, this restriction will be respected and the funds are used solely for the donor’s intended purpose, unless doing so becomes impossible due to external circumstances.
- When a zakat donation is not designated to a specific program by the donor, Penny Appeal USA allocates the funds to specific projects matching one of the eight categories of zakat-eligible programs as outlined in the Quran (see below). Note that Penny Appeal USA strongly encourages donors to make their donations unrestricted this way, as it provides us with the greater flexibility to respond to urgent needs.
- Zakat-eligible projects are identified based upon need and in accordance with the eight categories noted in the Quran (9:60):
- ‘al fuqara’ (the poor)
- ‘al masakin’ (the chronically needy / indigent)
- ‘al amilina alayha’ (the administrators of zakat funds)
- ‘al mualafati qulubhum’ (those that incline their hearts towards good)
- ‘f’il riqabi’ (freeing of slaves / those in bondage)
- ‘al gharimina’ (those in debt)
- ‘f’il sabili-llahi’ (in the way of God)
- ‘al sabili’ (the traveler)
- In line with category C (“the administrators of the funds”), a portion of the zakat funds collected are eligible to be allocated toward covering operational costs. To date, Penny Appeal USA is proud to have taken 0% overhead related to all Zakat donations. We continue to aspire to this number as our benchmark, while mandating internally that our overhead never exceeds 12.5% of all incoming zakat donations.
- We are able to maintain this level of overhead for zakat by drawing from our pool of unrestricted sadaqa funding. If you support our low-overhead Zakat policy, we ask that you make a donation allocated to “Where Most Needed” to help defray our operations expenses at pausa.org/donate.
- As Penny Appeal USA follows the best-practice nonprofit model of localization of aid, we often rely on on-the-ground partners within the countries in which we work for logistics and distribution. These organizations often, understandably, require their own expenses in order to operate. However, Penny Appeal USA factors in these expenses to our overall overhead cap of 12.5%, so that this percentage is not exceeded for the totality of a donation. For example, if a donor gives $100 to Penny Appeal USA, between our organization and all partners the overall overhead will not exceed $12.50.
- Penny Appeal USA agrees with the position that Zakat donations are intended for distribution as immediately as is feasible, rather than for accumulation by the distributor. However, we regularly take steps to balance this commitment with our obligation to honor the intentions of our donors, as well as shifting realities on the ground in the countries in which we operate. As such, we make every effort to disburse zakat funds as rapidly as possible, with the intention of not later than within one calendar year of their collection, recognizing that circumstances outside of our control may occasionally necessitate a longer holding period of the funds.
Your Zakat can create generational impact
30 meals for $50
Provide life-saving, nutritious meals to families in need for $50 per month.
Hygiene Kits for $150/month
Give 2 hygiene kits to families impacted by natural or man-made disasters.
A Water Well for $300/month
Show someone you love how much you care by building a well in their honor.
Sponsor 10 Orphans for $300/month
Provide nutritious meals, clothes, healthcare and an education to orphaned children in over eight countries.
Other Religious Giving
One Day of Food for $15
For fasts missed through ill health or pregnancy, which cannot be made up afterwards for legitimate reasons, give Fidyah.
30 Meals for $50
If fasts are broken without allowable reasons, and the compensatory two months of fasting is not possible, then give Kaffarah.
$12 per Family Member
Fitrana is due on every member of a household, including any children or elderly persons before eid prayer.
Automate your giving with MyTenNights.
We’ve partnered with MyTenNights to help you automate your giving during the last ten nights of Ramadan. By automating your donations and zakat, you don’t have to go online every night and donate.
Support Penny Appeal USA on LaunchGood
Set Love In Motion with Penny Appeal USA this Ramadan by feeding the hungry, building wells, and sponsoring orphans or creating your own fundraiser for a Penny Appeal USA cause!
Confused about Zakat? Download our Zakat Guide!
If you have any more questions, please feel free to chat with our team.
Give Your Zakat with Penny Appeal USA
Transform Lives with Your Zakat
Your Zakat fuels change. At Penny Appeal USA, all of our programs are zakat-eligible. That means your zakat can bring nutritious meals to families, sponsor an orphan, provide a well, and more!
Donate your Zakat to any of our Zakat-eligible appeals today:
Feed Our World
2019 Qurbani Report
2018 Qurbani Report
2017 Qurbani Report
Campaigns started by folks like you.
You can see some of the amazing work we’re doing by following us on social media.